Sunday 24 October 2010

Oh No You Didn't!...

...Oh yes I did!  T'would seem panto season is nearly upon us!

Today was spent mainly waiting.  I hate it when you have nothing to do until late afternoon but wait for something exciting to happen.  Today (or, as I've left it 'til the early hours of the morning to write this, yesterday) that exciting thing was my audition.  I've only done one small play with this company and I've never done a panto before so I didn't know what to expect.

One thing I was expecting was a group of people whom I worked with on Hobson's Choice to greet me with open arms and kind words... I was somewhat disappointed.  There were 30-odd people there and I only knew two of them (and one wasn't even auditioning).  If I do get a part, I don't know how I'll cope.  These guys were all teenagers with one or two grown-ups thrown in for good measure... I've never really gotten on with teenagers.

Part one of the audition was an impromptu dance piece.  Needless to say, it did not go well.  I have three left feet, I lack the energy and coordination for the dance steps that Mr. Thorpe was expecting from us and I felt myself getting quite dizzy on stage (as I often do when I get too hot).  Not to mention that my back is killing me after all that.

We were then able to take a break from "dancing" to take part in the singing portion of the audition process.  Surprisingly, I didn't suck as bad as I thought I would.  I sang my little heart out and no-one's ears started to bleed, so I took that as a good sign.

Part three was the bit I was looking forward to.  The reading section of the audition, where we all read from various scenes in the script having a go at all the different characters and experimenting with voices and the like.  I gave an evil Sheriff, a slow stuttering Little John and a West Country Friar Tuck.  Not to mention my Will Scarlet that came out sounding a bit too much like Will Mossop.

All in all it was a good day.  I should hear back by next Sunday and I'll let you all (whoever you are) know who I'll be portraying (let's just hope it's someone that doesn't have to exert himself too much).

Anywho, I think sleep is probably on the cards for now, so I'll just say, "Ciao for now!" xx

No comments:

Post a Comment